I’m a physician and ran for office for the first time in 2018 because I was concerned about the state of political discourse and because I wanted to be a voice for science and evidence-based policy making at the legislature. The theme of my campaign was FOR A HEALTHY THRIVING MINNESOTA. The values of ensuring access to excellent, affordable healthcare, world-class education and environmental protections to make Minnesota the best place to live, work and raise a family inform my work at the Capitol.
I have worked hard to reach across the aisle in our divided legislature and so far 23 of my bills have been passed into law. Some that I am most proud of include:
- Minnesota Telehealth Act – to expand access to care and save patients time and money and improve privacy and convenience
- PSYPACT – allowing licensed psychologists to practice across state lines to increase access to mental health care in Minnesota
- Extend postpartum coverage from 60 days to 12 months so new moms have access to the health care they need
- The Drug Price Transparency Act – improves drug pricing transparency and help drive down the cost of prescription drugs
- Reform of prior authorization – decrease bureaucracy, speed access to care and decrease patient and provider frustration
- Digital well-being grants to teach our students to be smart users of technology
- Limit the use of individual screens for our youngest learners
- Funding for research, prevention and treatment of aquatic invasive species to protect our lakes
- Lawns to Legumes – nationally recognized program to encourage the transformation of traditional lawns to pollinator-friendly habitats to help bolster our declining pollinator populations
- Bonding to help Spring Park rebuild its critical water infrastructure
- Bonding to replace a dangerously aging bridge in Deephaven
- Bonding to build a roundabout at Minnetonka Middle School West to address traffic congestion and safety concerns
- Help Minnetonka Community Education Center expand its building to meet the growing demand for early childhood and adult education
- Passed local options sales tax that Excelsior requested to fund repair and restoration of the Excelsior Commons
This session, my key priorities include…
- Increased mental health supports in our schools
- Bonding to address local infrastructure needs in Shorewood, Minnetonka Beach, Mound and Excelsior.
- Protections of access to abortion care
- Addressing health care work force challenges
- Creating a grant program to reimburse law enforcement for the epinephrine auto injectors they use to assist residents experiencing anaphylactic allergic reactions
- Expanding access to tobacco cessation products and counseling
- Protections for Minnesota’s water, including conducting a comprehensive study of our water resources to best prepare for a future of accelerating climate change and water scarcity
We are living through unprecedented times that are challenging all of us to re-imagine how we live in order to bring out the best in each of us, individually and together.
Join me and let’s work together FOR A HEALTHY, THRIVING MINNESOTA!