FOR A HEALTHY, THRIVING MINNESOTA
Minnesotans are proud of our unique state. Minnesota is a leader in health care, education, and environmental protections. We need to continue to lead so that Minnesota remains a great place to work and raise a family.
All Minnesotans deserve quality, affordable health care, and we should continue our state’s proud tradition of providing excellent care to its people
- Kelly favors a public MinnesotaCare buy-in option accessible to all individuals that will help us tackle the rising costs of healthcare and address the gaps in affordable coverage.
- Kelly supports working to reduce the cost of prescription medicines.
- As a physician, Kelly knows the importance of preserving the sanctity of the provider-patient relationship.
- Kelly believes in increasing access to mental health care for Minnesotans of all ages.
- It is important to have someone who has actually practiced medicine at the decision making table.
Kelly will always stand up for your right to make personal reproductive healthcare decisions without interference from the government
- As the only physician in the Minnesota House and the only obstetrician-gynecologist in the legislature, Kelly understands the importance of protecting the right to privacy and the doctor-patient relationship.
- In the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to remove the long-standing constitutional right to abortion, Kelly understands the importance of protecting it here in Minnesota.
- Kelly is a founding member and co-chair of the Reproductive Freedom Caucus in the legislature.
- Kelly is the chief author of several bills that would protect and expand access to comprehensive reproductive healthcare, including abortion care, in Minnesota:
- The Protect Reproductive Options Act
- The Patient’s Right To Know Act
- The Protect Access To Contraception Act
- The Reproductive Freedom Protection Act
- Kelly will always work to protect your reproductive rights.
Every Minnesotan deserves access to an excellent Cradle to Career approach to education
- As a physician, Kelly understands that the majority of brain development occurs before age 3, so she knows how important it is for kids to get off to a strong, healthy start.
- Kelly believes that we need to prioritize education funding so that all students have equal access to a world-class education.
- Providing students with a variety of higher education options, and not just a one-size-fits-all four year college approach, will help ensure that students find their best fit. This approach will help us build a skilled and diverse workforce to fill quality jobs across the state.
Government Integrity & Campaign Finance Reform
It’s time to put the voters back at the center of the decision making process
- One of the most important issues facing our state is protecting democracy and ensuring that all eligible voters are able to exercise their right to vote and to have their vote counted.
- Kelly is proud to run her campaign funded solely by individuals (no contributions from PACs or lobbyists).
- Kelly has worked to be a visible and accessible State Representative who listens to her constituents, and has held 24 public town halls. She pledges to continue that level of accessibility as your state Senator.
- Kelly favors reforms such as Ranked Choice Voting, National Popular Vote, and protections against political gerrymandering.
Our senior population is growing rapidly, and it is crucial that we provide a safe environment and support system that is comprehensive and reliable.
- Kelly supports policies that protect seniors’ ability to live independently in their homes.
- Kelly believes in improving access to safe, convenient, and reliable transportation.
- Kelly will help prepare for our growing senior population through development and training of qualified in-home care and ensure that seniors are protected from neglect and abuse.
- Kelly knows that we must address our workforce shortage, in part, by addressing unacceptably low wages for those who care for seniors and Minnesotans living with disabilities.
Minnesota must urgently address its unacceptable racial disparities
- The murder of George Floyd sparked what may be the largest social movement in American history. This is a watershed moment for our country and provides a chance to reimagine what kind of a country we want America to be.
- Kelly chief authored two bills that became law that were priorities of the House Select Committee on Racial Justice: extending Medical Assistance to 12 months postpartum (from 60 days) and exempting providers of prenatal care from being mandatory reporters of women who use substances during their pregnancy.
- Kelly is committed to working for a more just and equitable Minnesota. She believes it is critical to listen to BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) colleagues, community members, and leaders to craft policy to end our long standing racial disparities.
- Among other policy proposals, Kelly is supportive of thoughtful policing reform, criminal justice reform, and addressing inequities in healthcare, housing, education, and employment.
In our era of accelerating climate change, Kelly believes we must reduce carbon emissions and prepare for our changing future, while working to protect our environment and natural resources here in Minnesota.
- As a 6th generation Minnesotan, Kelly is proud of our state’s history of protecting our lakes, rivers, and wetlands, and believes that we need to continue that legacy for generations to come.
- Minnesota is already on the cutting edge of renewable energy. Kelly believes that we should work to lead the nation toward a renewable energy standard, while creating thousands of quality 21st century jobs in wind and solar power right here in our state.
- Protecting pollinators and moving away from the use of dangerous pesticides are priorities of Kelly’s. She chief authored the Lawns to Legumes program, which helps Minnesotans transition traditional turf lawns to pollinator friendly habitats.
- Kelly has been a leader in the effort to protect Minnesota’s water. She is the chief author of bills to protect our lakes from aquatic invasive species; several bills to protect Minnesota’s water, land, wildlife, and taxpayers from copper sulfide mining; and a bill to create a 50 year water plan to ensure that Minnesota has an adequate supply of clean water for the next 50 years.
We must take common sense steps to protect our children and communities from gun violence and crime
- Kelly believes that everyone deserves to feel safe in their communities. Law enforcement plays a crucial role in keeping us safe and needs to be supported.
- Law enforcement should also be held to a high standard.
- We must invest in excellent law enforcement and in crime prevention meassures.
- Kelly worked with local Chiefs to write legislation to reimburse departments for epi-pen use and to extend the statute of limitations on peeping Tom crimes.
- As a physician, Kelly believes it is imperative that we study gun violence to enact data driven policy to decrease gun injuries, death and trauma.
- Kelly agrees with the 90% of Minnesotans who believe we should enact universal background checks on every gun sale in Minnesota.
- Kelly supports Extreme Risk Protection Order (Red Flag) laws that keep guns away from those that are a danger to themselves and others, such as domestic abusers, violent criminals, suspected terrorists and those at risk for suicide.
- As a mom and the wife of a combat veteran, Kelly understands that weapons of war must stay out of the wrong hands and off our streets. She favors reinstating the assault weapons ban.
We need a robust economy to support a healthy, thriving Minnesota
- Minnesotans need relief from the high cost of living from global inflation caused by the COVID pandemic, subsequent supply chain issues, and Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine. Kelly is committed to easing the high cost of prescription drugs and child care, and easing the tax burden on Minnesotans.
- Kelly supports prioritizing a sustainable State Budget that provides the services that Minnesotans expect and deserve from their tax dollars. The long term health of our state depends on having a wisely invested, balanced and transparent budget process.
- Investing in and maintaining our infrastructure – including roads and bridges – must be a priority for Minnesota. We cannot continue to rely on costly temporary bandages to provide relief for our eroding infrastructure.
- Promoting, supporting, and encouraging small businesses and entrepreneurs in our district and our state is critical. Large and small companies benefit from a skilled and healthy workforce and provide the jobs that grow our economy. This positive economic and social environment is one of the reasons why Minnesota has the highest per capita number of Fortune 500 companies from a broad range of industries.
- Minnesota offers a high quality of life to many of its residents, but we can do better. Addressing our racial disparities across sectors is the key to a prosperous future for our state. We must ensure that every Minnesotan has the opportunity to thrive. We need to invest in our state, while maintaining reasonable fiscal responsibility.
Veterans and the Military Community
Our veterans deserve our respect, gratitude, and support.
- Kelly’s husband, John Willoughby, is a combat veteran and former Army Ranger. Her father-in-law is a disabled veteran from his combat wounds in Vietnam. Both her father and grandfather are veterans.
- Because of their experiences and from her own experience caring for veterans at a VA hospital, Kelly knows how important and needed a strong health care system is for our veterans.
- Kelly works hard to ensure our veterans and their families get the support they deserve. She was proud to co-author the bill that became law this year that provides 9/11 veterans and their families service bonuses.
Paid for by Kelly Morrison for Minnesota Senate
PO Box 684, Wayzata, MN 55391